Many adolescents have high career ambitions, but are unaware of steps they can take that may help them achieve their ambitions.
Parents have a great influence on the career development of their children. Students rank parents as having the most influence on their career choice followed by friends, teachers, counselors and siblings.
How can parents motivate their children to reach their ambitions?
Here are a few tips:
1) Communicate consistently and frequently with your child about school and strategies that will help her reach her ambitions.
- What's happening in his/her courses
- How he/she is doing in her courses
- SAT and ACT preparation
- His/Her career dreams
- Connections between schooling and work
2) Take actions that help your child become strategic in his career planning.
- Become actively involved in homework and class projects
- Help him/her manage his leisure time
- Arrange for specific work or internship opportunities for him/her
- Accompany him/her on college visits
- Arrange financial assistance
- Assist in judging the program of a college and whether it is the right one for him/her
Helpful Web sites for parents:
Assessment of Interests:
(Select "Resource Library" under "Occupational Information," select "Career Assessment")
(Select "Financial Aid")
(Select "Internships" under "Jobs")
(Select A-Z Index, select Education and Training Directories)